September 28, 2009

Focus

It’s easy to get distracted.


At work, when we talk to clients we ask them what their objectives are. Normally, we get a lot of feedback to the point where you are now looking at a flipchart with about 12-15 different objectives for one particular training or communications program.


12-15 objectives…
12-15 goals...
Which one is most important? Which one will lead to the greatest success? Which one will mean the most to you?
At work, we help clients narrow down their objectives to three.
Three objectives so when their audience leaves to go home…they know the three things they need to accomplish. No confusion. No chance for them to say… “I didn’t know”.
It’s like that in all aspects of life.
Lots of objectives. Lots of goals…for me, my kids, my company, my team, my clients. I want to help everyone succeed…and still have a little time left over to be with my wife and watch a Yankee game. But too many objectives leads to distracted efforts…and watered down results.

So…I am being my own client.
Three objectives…

1) Rapid Growth (personal and professional) – if it doesn’t help grow revenue at work, teach me something I didn’t know, or make me a better person in some way…it’s gone. Rapid, because at almost 42 years old…I don’t have time to waste anymore.

2) Exceptional Health – Be consistent in choices that pertain to the well being of the body and mind. Health is easy…exceptional health is a challenge worth pursuing.

3) Positive Culture – It’s easy to be negative…to think of what we don’t want rather than what we do want. Focus on the “Law of attraction” to bring only good things to my life. Eliminate gossip and negativity both at work and at home.


I believe if I focus on these three objectives…then the actions I take to get there will align with the need to take care of myself, my company, my family and my clients.


What are your three objectives?

No comments:

Post a Comment